At school, one of my friends was in the science lab, and he went to drink from his water bottle. Turns out, he drank out of a beaker with H2SO4 inside it. He had to go to the hospital, but I'm wondering, can you die by drinking H2SO4?
It's possible – but rather unlikely. Acidity also depends on dilution – if it's concentrated enough it could certainly do some damage to internal tissue leading to bleeding, which – untended could result in death.
You are watching: What happens if you drink sulfuric acid
Also: I call bullshit, due to the existence of the rhyme:
Billy was a chemist's son, Now Billy is no more. What Billy thought was H2O Was H2SO4
Also – don't eat or drink in labs
Yes. And he probably has chemical burns on his mouth, esophagus, tongue, etc. Concentration is key. If it were a 1% solution, there is a lot less hazard and damage than a 40% solution.
So I have a question to you:
WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE DRINK ANYTHING OUT OF A BEAKER?! AND WHY THE FUCK WOULD HE DRINK ANYTHING IN A LAB?!?!?!
If it's concentrated enough, absolutely. But the concentration is key, because you could be talking about something that's almost equivalent to water, or something that can destroy tissues (or steel, for that matter) very quickly.
Yes Sulfuric acid can kill you. Here is info about sulfuric acid poisoning.
How well a patient does depends on how fast the poison is diluted and neutralized. Extensive damage to the mouth, throat, eyes, lungs, esophagus, nose, and stomach are possible. The ultimate outcome depends on the extent of this damage.
Damage continues to occur to the esophagus and stomach for several weeks after the poison was swallowed, and death may occur as long as a month later. Treatment may require removal of part of the esophagus and stomach.
Swallowing the poison can cause death.
From what I can find, sulfur isn't very poisonous, so I doubt H2SO4 has much risk beyond just the fact that it's acidic. And you can taste acid, so if it's dangerously acidic you'd stop drinking immediately. If you confuse it for water, it's extremely watered down. From what I understand, 1% sulfuric acid would be around as sour as lemon juice.
Johnny was a chemist's son
But Johnny is no more
What Johnny thought was H20
More posts from the NoStupidQuestions community
Continue browsing in r/NoStupidQuestions
Created Feb 2, 2013
Top posts march 11th 2016Top posts of march, 2016Top posts 2016
helppositiveeast.org coinspositiveeast.org premiumpositiveeast.org gifts
Back to Top